Friday 12 July 2013

The Scent of Christmas Potpourri

Friday, 04 December 2009 Gayle Eversole

Christmas Cookie Image.

Tucked away in a secret spot that I never seem to be able to find until the middle of July, I have one unopened treasured bag of my favorite Christmas potpourri. I love the Christmas blend but sadly it is no longer made.  The fragrances are so evocative of happy holiday memories that I fear it will be used up or lose its aroma before I can find an acceptable replacement.

Even with its extinction, this Christmas potpourri remains one of my favorite things, or at least the memory of its delightful blending of winter fragrances is, for me, a seasonal stress reducer. I am anticipating the arrival of Pomander Balls; a blend of all those wonderful and hypnotic aromas associated with oranges that transform into pincushions of cloves and cinnamon.

Although unusual, another holiday soother is pickling spice.  I steep this in a pot of water on low heat and the kitchen and entire house smells wonderful.  I learned this from a I client I had years ago and it creates a wonderful ambiance when I’m making gingerbread men for the Christmas tree, and also makes lovely gifts for friends.

Along with the gingerbread men, are the chocolate chip cookies, homemade and strung with red ribbons to add to cranberry and popcorn strings on the Christmas tree. When my children were young, they drew star shapes on sheets of notebook paper. I cut them out and threaded them with red and green embroidery thread to hang on the tree. I remember it so well and I wish for us to be able to be together to do it this year, once again.  But, we are scattered by miles and an ocean, and the distance makes it hard.

A few days ago I mailed off a package to a place in the Midwest where poverty is the norm and unemployment reaches 80%.  In it were a few new toys and some clothing.  It’s the toy drive that is closest to my heart because it all benefits children living on a reservation. 

I thank all of you who read Natural Notes for your good comments during the year. And whatever brings you joy and peace during this season, I hope you receive your every wish.

Gayle Eversole, DHom, PhD, MH, NP, ND, is a natural health educator and advocate. Celebrating 50+ years blending science and the natural healing arts. Sign up for her herbalYoda newsletter at: http://www.leaflady.org/ and for more cranberry recipes send an This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment